Bastiaan HeerenAssistant professor at the School of Computer Science of the Open University of the Netherlands. Programme leader of the Master Computer Science.
I am a member of the Software Technology group and teach various courses in the Software Engineering Master's program. My research interests are functional programming languages in education, type systems, and advanced software technology concepts to support teaching and learning. Before I joined the Open University, I was a lecturer and a PhD student at Utrecht University.
- IPA course on Software technology for learning and teaching (2015)
- Program Committee member of the Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE 2017)
- Program Committee member of the Second Workshop on Haskell And Rewriting Techniques (HART 2014)
- Program Committee member of the Computer Science Education Research Conference (CSERC 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016)
- Program Committee member of the Symposium on Implementation and Application of Functional Languages 2010
- Program Committee member of the Haskell Symposium 2009
- Co-organizer of the Tenth ICFP programming contest (see the contest presentation in Freiburg, October 2007)
- Program Committee member of the International Conference on Functional Programming (ICFP) 2007
- Program Committee member of the 2006 Haskell Workshop
Selected publicationsOr visit the full list of publications.
- Josje Lodder, Bastiaan Heeren, and Johan Jeuring. Generating hints and feedback for Hilbert-style axiomatic proofs. To appear in SIGCSE 2017.
- Josje Lodder, Bastiaan Heeren, and Johan Jeuring. A Domain Reasoner for Propositional Logic. To appear in Journal of Universal Computer Science.
- Hieke Keuning, Johan Jeuring, and Bastiaan Heeren. Towards a Systematic Review of Automated Feedback Generation for Programming Exercises. In Proceedings of the 2016 ACM Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education, ITiCSE '16, pages 41-46, 2016. ACM.
- Alex Gerdes, Bastiaan Heeren, Johan Jeuring, and L. Thomas Binsbergen. Ask-Elle: an Adaptable Programming Tutor for Haskell Giving Automated Feedback. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence in Education, 1-36, 2016.
- Johan Jeuring, Frans Grosfeld, Bastiaan Heeren, Michiel Hulsbergen, Richta IJntema, Vincent Jonker, Nicole Mastenbroek, Maarten van der Smagt, Frank Wijmans, Majanne Wolters, and Henk van Zeijts. Demo: Communicate! - a serious game for communication skills. 2015. To be presented at EC-TEL.
- Bastiaan Heeren and Johan Jeuring. Feedback services for stepwise exercises. Science of Computer Programming, 88:110-129, 2014. Software Development Concerns in the e-Learning Domain.
- Tim Olmer, Bastiaan Heeren, and Johan Jeuring. Evaluating Haskell expressions in a tutoring environment. In Proceedings 3rd International Workshop on Trends in Functional Programming in Education, TFPIE 2014, EPTCS, pages 50-66, 2014.
- Hieke Keuning, Bastiaan Heeren, and Johan Jeuring. Strategy-based Feedback in a Programming Tutor. In Proceedings of the Computer Science Education Research Conference, CSERC '14, pages 43-54, 2014. ACM.
- Thomas van Noort, Alexey Rodriguez yakushev, Stefan Holdermans, Johan Jeuring, Bastiaan Heeren, and José pedro Magalhães. A Lightweight Approach to Datatype-generic Rewriting. J. Funct. Program., 20(3-4):375-413, 2010.
- Alex Gerdes, Johan T. Jeuring, and Bastiaan J. Heeren. Using Strategies for Assessment of Programming Exercises. In Proceedings of the 41st ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, SIGCSE '10, pages 441-445, 2010. ACM.
- Bastiaan Heeren, Johan Jeuring, and Alex Gerdes. Specifying Rewrite Strategies for Interactive Exercises. Mathematics in Computer Science, 3(3):349-370, 2010.
- Bastiaan Heeren and Jurriaan Hage. Type Class Directives. In Practical Aspects of Declarative Languages, volume 3350 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 253-267. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2005.
- Bastiaan Heeren, Jurriaan Hage, and S. Doaitse Swierstra. Scripting the Type Inference Process. In Proceedings of the Eighth ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on Functional Programming, ICFP '03, pages 3-13, 2003. ACM.
- Bastiaan Heeren, Daan Leijen, and Arjan van IJzendoorn. Helium, for Learning Haskell. In Proceedings of the 2003 ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Haskell, Haskell '03, pages 62-71, 2003. ACM.
At the Open University in the Netherlands, we have started the Ideas project (Intelligent Domain-specific Exercise Assistants), which aims at developing tools for incrementally solving exercises. Our research focus is on strategies for exercises, which guide the reasoning in a particular domain. The software is written in Haskell and can be found on Hackage.
I am also interested in improving the quality of type error messages for higher-order, functional programming languages (such as Haskell). For this purpose, we have designed the TOP framework for constraint-based type inference, which is used in the Helium Compiler. A detailed description of this framework is given in my PhD thesis.
- Hieke Keuning, working on providing feedback in an interactive learning tools for imperative programming, funded by an NWO Doctoral Grant for Teachers
- Josje Lodder, working on the design and use of tools for teaching logic
- Sylvia Stuurman, Design for Change, 2015, with M.C.J.D. van Eekelen and H.J.M. Passier
- Alex Gerdes, Ask-Elle: a Haskell Tutor, 2012, with J.T. Jeuring
Supervised Master's theses
- Stéphane Thibaud, A domain reasoner for geometry exercises, 2017, with J.T. Jeuring.
- Gideon Teeuwen, Comparing architectural styles for distributed expert knowledge modules in intelligent tutoring systems, 2016, with J.T. Jeuring.
- Harm van den Hoven, Invloed van structuur en samenhang op de onderhoudbaarheid van Haskell programma's (in Dutch), 2015, with J.T. Jeuring.
- Hieke Keuning, Strategy-based feedback for imperative programming exercises, 2014, with J.T. Jeuring.
- Tim Olmer, Evaluation of Haskell expressions in a tutoring environment, 2014, with J.T. Jeuring.
- John Willems, Comparison of Data Preprocessing Techniques on Software Sources for Topic Modeling, 2014, with M.C.J.D. van Eekelen.
- Henk van de Ridder, Feasibility study of REA business patterns in a web oriented framework for business applications (in Dutch), 2010, with M.C.J.D. van Eekelen and A. Bijlsma.
- Aad van den Berg, A Pre-Processing Method for Software Synthesis of Synchronous Dataflow Networks, 2009, with A. Bijlsma.
- Mark Ronkes, An Architecture for Searching Radio Signals - coordination of task and result sharing in the search process, 2008, with A. Bijlsma and J.T. Jeuring.
- Sander Mak, Developing Interacting Domain Specific Languages, 2007, with S.D. Swierstra and E. Visser.
- Michiel Overeem, Dynamic Archive Management - A Framework for Dynamic Database Schemas, 2007, with S.D. Swierstra and L. Herlaar.
- Gerrit van den Geest, Constraints for Type Class Extensions, 2007, with S.D. Swierstra and A. Dijkstra.
- Arjen Langebaerd, Repair Systems - Automatic Correction of Type Errors in Functional Programs, 2006, with J. Hage.
TeachingIn addition to supervising Bachelor and Master projects, I teach the following courses at the Open University:
ContactMy office is in the BBG building at De Uithof, Utrecht. Click here for a detailed description how to reach my office, or see my former staff page for further contact information.
|Phone:||+31 (30) 253 4255|
|Office:||Buys Ballotgebouw (BBG), office 572|